Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kiki's vs Howl's

A for long while, Howl's Moving Castle was my favorite Miyazaki film. It was the first Miyazaki film I watched, and the story and romance was appealing to me. However, the moment I watched Kiki's Delivery Service, I knew that my favorite had changed. Kiki's is not only unique, but it centers a lot more on the main protagonist's freedom and worries than Howl's. I guess because Kiki's focuses all on Kiki and Howl's focuses on both Howl and Sophie, that Howl's feels more divided in attention. For me, Kiki's has a lot more detail in the characters and story that just makes me tingle with longing for a world similar to hers. However, one major aspect that Howl's is better in is the music. Regrettably, Kiki's doesn't really have any music that you can consider memorable, which is kind of strange, because virtually every Miyazaki film has a wonderful theme song. Howl's theme song is by far my favorite and I can't wait for the day when I will learn how to play it on the cello. All in all, Kiki > Sophie.

No comments:

Post a Comment