Monday, April 12, 2010

Spirited Away



Spirited Away was the first film of Miyazaki's that I watched. I remember watching it way back when and I had no idea what was going on. Upon watching it again, I realize that it is another one of Miyazaki's masterpieces. Just like all of his other films, so much goes on in the plots and between characters. It is very similar to Totoro, in that the girl, Chihiro, becomes lost in another world that could be just her imagination or part of the real world. Miyazaki always includes some sort of imagination conflict in his films. You never know for sure if it's real or not, such as Jiji's ability to talk.
When I watched Spirited Away back in middle school, I remember being creeped out by No-Face. Watching it now in college, I'm still creeped out by his unusual gestures, but I must admit, he is my favorite character in the film. Not only is he the coolest monster in the film, but he also makes a pretty nice (but brief) side-kick for Chihiro. I still don't understand why No-Face was ok with the idea of staying behind with Obababa's twin sister. I mean, he seemed so set on impressing and being close to Chihiro. Why the sudden change?

9.0

No comments:

Post a Comment